About YFC Jamaica
Youth for Christ Jamaica (JYFC) was founded in 1947 by George Forbes. This transpired from a meeting with individuals from the USA who had suddenly developed a fast-growing youth movement called Youth for Christ International. Our Saturday Night Rallies held in every Parish then were very popular.
Rev. Dr. Gerry Gallimore, our first National Director, eventually became a YFCI President. Since then, the four National Directors have been Dexter Gordon, Donovan Thomas, Herro Blair Jr., and Dexter Johnson, who has served for 10 years.
The ministry evolved with a diverse range of programs meeting the differing taste of today’s youth. After 74 years we are pressing on for Him.
Youth for Christ is able to minister to youth on the entire island through:
- sports clubs
- youth counseling by phone and in person
- Gospel films available to churches and other ministries
- weekly meetings in a juvenile correctional center
- Project Serve
- Youth Guidance programs
- Discover Jesus Mission – the evangelical outreach arm; a weekend evangelism event with speakers, music, and more, held in different cities each year.
- Equipment for special events, such as buses, hand-held radios, sound systems
- Adequate ministry resources, to include films and sports equipment.
- Implementation of four youth leadership training seminars with Youth for Christ volunteers and church youth leaders
- Implementation of six weekend evangelism outreaches across the nation