About Youth for Christ Jamaica
Youth for Christ Jamaica was founded in 1947 by George Forbes. This transpired from a meeting with individuals from the USA who had suddenly developed a fast-growing youth movement called Youth for Christ. Our Saturday Night Rallies held in every parish were very popular.
Rev. Dr. Gerry Gallimore, our first National Director, eventually became a Youth for Christ International President. Since then, the four National Directors have been Dexter Gordon, Donovan Thomas, Herro Blair Jr., and Dexter Johnson, the current National Director who has served for over ten years.
The ministry evolved with a diverse range of programs meeting the differing tastes of today’s youth. After 74 years we are pressing on for Him.
Youth for Christ is able to minister to youth on the entire island through:
- sports clubs
- youth counseling by phone and in person
- Gospel films available to churches and other ministries
- weekly meetings in a juvenile correctional center
- Project Serve
- Youth Guidance programs
- Discover Jesus Mission – the evangelical outreach arm: a weekend evangelism event with speakers, music, and more, held in different cities each year.
- Equipment for special events, such as buses, hand-held radios, sound systems
- Adequate ministry resources including films and sports equipment
- Implementation of four youth leadership training seminars with Youth for Christ volunteers and church youth leaders
- Implementation of six weekend evangelism outreaches across the nation