About YFC Uruguay
Youth for Christ Uruguay began 49 years ago inspired by Jimmy Ferguson of South Africa. His empathy, serenity and joy, disciplined life, generosity, and humility impacted those around him deeply. From these interactions we realized that as we witness the needs of humanity around us, especially those of youth, we each have a call on our lives to participate in the mission of God.
Each time one of God’s children suffers violence, poverty, injustice, exclusion, run-ins with the law, hopelessness, often without reason, in secular and religious contexts that negate the dignity that each carries in the image of God, there is an opportunity to serve. We can draw near to them with His love, a love that is so difficult to many to see in their lives on their own.
Across the years, a creative, motivated, and innovative team has formed and joined forces with churches and organizations within Uruguay, Latin America, and the Caribbean. This team has developed and grown pertinent and relevant methods to reach children and youth with the Gospel. This partnership, begun by Youth for Christ Uruguay, was named Sur-Sur (South-South), and is one of the distinctives of our ministry that we participate in today, with a staff of more than 180 individuals and many volunteers.
At YFC in Uruguay we work in programmes that have at their center children and youth and their development towards a full life. YFC, from the programme of Community Development, carries out centers for the attention of early childhood and families, youth centers and from the Programme of Education and Work manages several projects aimed for youth and adults in severe socioeconomic vulnerability.
Our programme Claves works in Latin America and the Caribbean to prevent all forms of violence and promoting a peace culture towards children and teenagers. To achieve that, we have an editorial that creates didactic materials and a team of professionals that design those and impart courses and diplomas. We also count on our educational center El Retoño, available for retreats and camps, among other activities.
- For a team that lives fully the Gospel of love that we receive from Jesus. That we may lay on his Holy Spirit and let Christ be seen in everything we do.
- For creativity, wisdom and judgement to implement in a changing world and hit by the pandemic the mission that we’ve received.
- For the necessary resources for a professional institutional management, committed to the values of the Kingdom of God.
- Strengthening of the networking with churches, social organizations and communities.
- For agreements of cooperation with the Uruguayan State.