About Youth for Christ Ukraine
In 1991 when Ukraine got its independence, God brought Jean Jacques Weiler (Europe Area Director at the time), Bob Tanner (USA), John Campbell (Northern Ireland), and John Duncan (Northern Ireland) to Ukraine. They met Andriy Kostyshyn, who became a long-term National Director of Youth for Christ Ukraine. From 1992 till now John Campbell has become a key partner and Board member.
Over the years we have had many ministry models: Rock Solid clubs, camps, prayer ministry, social evangelizing of youth and families through Day Centers, sports, drama ministry, leadership development (using “One Million Leaders” by John Maxwell), publishing department, resource center, teaching at Christian seminaries, institutes and conferences.
During COVID-19 Youth for ChristUkraine changed focus from mass ministry to more personal and practical work: trainings through Zoom, small groups, Art of Connection, School of Leadership, coaching, social gospel. We distributed food packages for families, organized day camps for kids at risk, and built relationships with churches. We saw the lockdown as an opportunity: people were seeking God.
Over 20 years Youth for Christ in Ukraine has helped churches to reach young people through different programs and activities:
- Day Centers for children at risk. Children from single-parent, poor and alco-/drug- abuse families come to Day Centers where they can get help and love. Volunteers care about them, help with school homework, feed them and teach Bible. Also, volunteers continue this ministry with parents to bring Jesus into the families. This is a very important social ministry; Youth for Christ helps churches to do over 90 Day Centers.
- Rock Solid clubs for teenagers. This is the most popular and effective way to share the Gospel among teenagers. Youth clubs are the first model of ministry in Ukraine and over 5,000 teenagers every week visit up to 200 clubs.
- School of Leadership trainings. Today as never before there is a great need for strong Christian leaders, so Youth for Christ regularly teaches youth leaders how to lead young people, how to work in teams and how to grow in their faith. Youth for Christ Ukraine runs the trainings in seven different. Each year about 500 ministers get leadership skills.
Also Youth for Christ Ukraine runs a lot of camps for young people, creates resources and organizes many trainings and conferences.
- For peace in Ukraine. For safety of our volunteers who serve in the warzone.
- For raising new leaders who dedicate themselves to serving youth.
- For support of the small Youth for Christ team that is doing huge ministry.