Our Brief History
In 1992 a group of Angolan young people participated in a youth camp in Namibia, and later that experience caused them to start Youth for Christ in Angola. Avelino Rafael, Lino André, Pastor Bernardo Chinoia, Beto Fontes and others were the ones who participated in the youth camp, and after training from Youth for CHrist Namibia, Lino André became the first National Director of Youth for Christ Angola. He has now been succeeded by Pastor Chinoia.
Our main outreach methods before COVID-19 were a weekly lunch with underprivileged youth followed by Bible studies and discipleship; seven days of teen and kids camps, and addiction-free youth camp; cultural activities for each center; and schools outreach. A very important ministry is “Worth the Wait,” a program we take to the schools, calling young people to stay pure until marriage, offering the opportunity to sign an annual written commitment not to have sex until marriage.
Our vision for the future is to start a “Business as Mission” agriculture project, raise funds to complete our campsite and use it as a sustainable source of funds for the ministry, and open a food bank to help poor communities.
Because of You…
- working with underprivileged children in poor communities giving food, toys and teaching through Bible histories and the gospel.
- running evangelism programs through camps for youth, teenage and kids. In the last year, Youth for Christ Angola reached 238 young people, 47 children and 27 teenagers through camp ministry.
- introduction of the “Waiting Covenant” for teenagers and young people teaching them that our bodies are the temple of God and we have to keep them pure, waiting to have sex until marriage.
- Spiritual protection for staff, volunteers, Board members and their families
- Funding for the development of a training camp and support of the ministry
- Increased and effective ministry to schools and churches
- Increased involvement of more youth leaders in training and camps
- Funding to build our own ministry centre, since the rent is very high (we need about US $25,000 to build it)
- Transition process at leadership in several levels
- Effective follow-up program for those who are being reached through our ministry
- Office equipment (computers and printers for local ministries)